Year 3 – Birch and Maple
Maple Class – Miss Gaskell
Topics and Themes
‘From Stones to Swords’ (Stone Age > Iron Age and early settlements)
‘From the Nile to the Severn’ (Ancient Egypt and rivers)
‘Groovy Greeks’ (Ancient Greeks and mountains)
Key Texts and Books
Our English Pathways texts are:
- ‘Stone Age Boy’ by Satoshi Kitamura
- ‘Winter’s Child’ by Angela McAllister
- ‘Seal Surfer’ by Michael Foreman
- ‘Big Blue Whale’ by Nicola Davies
- ‘Journey’ by Aaron Becker
- ‘Zeraffa Giraffa’ by Diane Hoffmeyer
Our Class Novels are:
- ‘How to Skin a Bear’ by A Twinkl Original
- ‘Charlotte’s Web’ by E.B White
- ‘Nothing to see here Hotel’ by Steven Butler
- ‘Leila and the city of the Cat Goddess’ by A Twinkl Original
- ‘Planet Omar: Accidental Trouble Magnet’ by Zanib Mian
- ‘The Man who Bought a Mountain’ by A Twinkl Original
Homework packs are sent out on a half termly basis. They will be given out in the first week of every half term and are expected to be returned and completed before we break up for each holiday. The packs always include Maths booklets and reading comprehension tasks.
Our blog is only going to be in use if we ever have to close the school so that children can still access learning at home. The blog will not be used for weekly communication. You can contact us through the office or our email if you have any questions or queries.
Here is the link to our blog: https://birchandmaple.edublogs.org
How you can help your child at home
Please read with them everyday and sign their reading record so that we are aware of what they are completing at home. Dojo’s will be awarded.
Although we are not doing weekly spelling tests anymore, please encourage your child to maintain practising the Year 3 words on Spelling Shed. Additionally, please look at the highlighted sheets for Year 1 and 2 common exception words we gave you in their homework packs and ensure they know all of these by the end of the year.
Top TTROCKSTARS scorers are now being celebrated in our star of the week assemblies. Use this link: https://ttrockstars.com/