Year 5 – Holly and Sycamore
Holly Class – Mrs Lakes
Sycamore Class – Miss Lampitt
Topics and Themes
Autumn – Amazing Americas’ (Geography & History)
- Mayans in AD 900 (History)
- South America- Brazil focus
Spring – The Terrific Tudors (History)
Summer- ‘Can You Dig It?’ (History & Geography)
- Heritage Project/Local study-Coal mining in Priorslee
How Does Music Bring Us Together?
How Does Music Connect Us with Our Past?
Whole Class Ensemble Teaching: Ukulele
How Does Music Shape Our Way of Life?
Temptation – what can we learn from Christians and Muslims?
Prayer: asking questions and seeking answers
Values – what can we learn from Christians and Humanists?
Autumn – Road safety, Care and Commitment, Anti- bullying
Spring – Expect Respect, Choices and Challenges
Summer – Eat Better, Changes
Autumn – Forces and Earth and Space
Spring – Properties & Changes of Materials
Summer – Living Things & Habitats & Animals including Humans
Art / Design and Technology
Autumn 1- Mayan Art
- Mixed Media and Drawing
Autumn 2 – Cooking and Nutrition
- Celebrating culture and seasonality
Spring 1- Printing, Digital and Sculpture, Portraits
- Artist: Hans Holbein
Spring 2 – Structures
- Framed structures
Summer 1- Landscapes using line, form, pattern and tone.
- Artist: Gene Brown and Paul Shapiro
Summer 2- Mechanical systems
Key Texts and Books
- Queen of the falls by Chris Van Allsburg
- A Kid in My Class by Rachel Rooney
- Jinnie’s Ghost by Berlie Doherty
- Traditional Tales (Three Little Pigs)
- Kensuke’s Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo
- Arthur and the Golden Rope by Joe Todd-Stanton
- Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot and Axel Scheffler
- Non-fiction books about the Tudors
- Diver’s Daughter by Patrice Lawrence
- Finding Magic by Eric Finney
- The Darkest Dark Cosmic by Frank Cottrell Boyce
- Nyangara The Fire Python
- Dark Sky Park by Philip Gross
- The Paperbag Prince by Colin Thompson
- The Last Wild by Piers Torday
- The Hunter by Paul Geraghty
- The Child’s Elephant by Rachel Campbell-Johnston
- Animals of Africa
- Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz
- Wonder by RJ Palacio
- Can you see me? – Libby Scott
Homework for mathematics and reading comprehension is set weekly using CGP books. Pupils are given homework on Fridays to be completed by the following Wednesday. Pupils are also expected to read daily with an adult at home and record this in their Reading Diary.
Please use this link for our homework blog: https://year5ppa.edublogs.org/
How you can help your child at home
Read daily with your child and support them with their homework.
Encourage your child to practise their times tables and spellings of statutory words.